Friday, October 26, 2012

31 Days of October: Day 26... O Canada!

SOMETHING TOLD THE WILD GEESE
By Rachel Field
Something told the wild geese
It was time to go,
Though the fields lay golden
Something whispered, "snow."
 
Leaves were green and stirring,
Berries, luster-glossed,
But beneath warm feathers
Something cautioned, "frost."
 
All the sagging orchards
Steamed with amber spice,
But each wild breast stiffened
At remembered ice.
 
Something told the wild geese
It was time to fly,
Summer sun was on their wings,
Winter in their cry.



O Canada!  Canada Goose, that is.  Yep.  I said that correctly.  I know most people call them Canadian Geese but it is Canada Geese.  I don't make the rules, I just report them.

We get a lot of Canada Geese around these parts.  We have them here for most of the year but the population explodes in the fall.  That's when the ones that take up residency in lower Delaware are joined by their northern neighbors as they travel southward to escape the coming winter. 

The housing development where I usually walk is, shall we say, littered with the evidence of their presence.  One of these days I'm gonna break an ankle trying to dodge those landmines! They are messy and noisy and I think they are beautiful.


None of these pictures are mine, but I had to have some photos.  I hope I'm not breaking any copyright laws!

Defending the nest
 


Two too cute goslings
 
Under the wing
 
 
Family
 
 
 Crossing the road
 

No comments:

Post a Comment