Tuesday, October 2, 2012

31 Days of October: Day 2... Bulbs... or Fall Sowing for Spring Reaping

Day 2...
My husband and I have been making some plans to beautify our yard.  We've lived here several years but since this never felt like it was going to be our home for very long, we neglected to do much in the way of landscaping.  Since it appears we will be here for some time longer than planned, we decided that it was time to spruce the place up a bit.
 
Today I planted some Spring bulbs. Daffodils and Delft Blue Hyacinths. Bulbs, more than seeds, intrigue me.  Unlike seeds, they don't have to die to produce their flowers.  It is amzing to me how God worked that out!  I especially like early blooming bulbs.  Small but mighty crocuses bully their way through the soil and, sometimes, snow before anything has a chance to stop them.  Tenatious little things, aren't they?

I bought my bulbs at a local home improvement store for not much cash.  I consider it a long-term investment since these beauties will be blooming for years to come! I think I'll purchase a few more before the week is out, plant them in random places and be surprised at where they pop up come Spring!  
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment