Sunday, November 10, 2013

Chickens for Haiti 5K Run and Walk



It has been a while since I've done a 5K race so when this particular opportunity arose, I jumped at it.  I was the second person to register.  That's how fast I jumped!

Not only was this a great time for me to get back to walking for health and well-being, but it was a chance to contribute to a worthwhile cause.

Raising funds to build chicken houses in Haiti.

I knew the cause was legitimate (sometimes I wonder just how much of the money raised actually goes to the cause) because my cousin has been involved with missions in Haiti for 35-40 years and his business was a co-host of the race.  So I felt really confident about that aspect!

Not so much in the walking part.

As I said, it has been about 2 years since I walked in a 5K race.  I walk several miles a week on a regular basis, but not with much intensity so I've lost a lot of ground, so to speak.

Anyway, here are some pictures of our team...


Pre-race
Photo by Dan

Me being a goof with the guy who lead the pack.
  He's another cousin!

Photo by Becky



Post-race
Photo by Dan

Another Post-race
photo by Dan

My time was 47 minutes, 12 seconds.  Not the 45 minute goal I had set for myself, but a big improvement from the 58 minutes of my first race.  It may not be an impressive time by racing standards but I am just thankful that I can walk without excruciating pain in my ankles now.

It is like my husband said... "5 years ago you couldn't walk from one room to another without pain.  Now you are doing a 5K race.  That's something to feel thankful for.  And proud of!"  And he is right. My progress can only be measured against my own beginning. 

I still have discomfort in my ankles most of the time and real pain on occasion, but it is so much of an improvement that I am more than grateful!

It was a beautiful day (a bit chilly at the start) and I am already planning to register for next year's race.

If for no other reason than to place and receive this as a reward...




Yes, folks, that is a tiny RUBBER CHICKEN on a lanyard!


My friend, Kristin, wrote about her experience of the day HERE in her blog.  Check it out.  I love her approach to goal setting!

Another friend, Jodi, wrote about her experience of the day HERE in her blog.  Check it out.  I love her attitude in overcoming an obstacle!





Here's a link to Christian Fellowship Mission if you'd like to learn more about the work going on in Haiti.



2 comments:

  1. I have really enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts about the race-- both on their blogs and Facebook. I love that walking and running is such an individual experience and that we can each do our own thing and cheer each other on at the same time. Walking without pain is something to be very, very thankful for. A 5K is a big deal! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kristin! It was a pleasure getting to know you a little better. Your practical yet encouraging attitude is delightful!

      Delete