Saturday, March 23, 2013

Book Review 2013... #6 Thoughts and Feelings



How this book came to me:  One of my aunts posted some information from this book on facebook that I thought was interesting so I bought it.

Nutshell Synopsis:  Thoughts and Feelings is a workbook that can aid the reader in diagnosing common emotional problems and finding ways to overcome them through cognitive behavior therapy.   

Quotes from the book: 



"...it's important for you to recognize that thoughts create and sustain emotion.  To reduce the frequency of painful emotions, you need to listen to what you think, then ask how true your thoughts are.  Remember, what you think ultimately creates what you feel."
 


More Info:  This is not a book that is to be read cover to cover, although I did for purposes of this review.  Some of these chapters take weeks to work through to a level of "mastery".  The first couple chapters are dedicated to uncover and label faulty thinking and directing the reader to the chapters that they should find the most helpful in overcoming those particular thought patterns.  Some of the faulty thinking covered in this book are filtering, overgeneralization, personalization, and polarized thinking. 

Reading Level:  I am not an expert in these things but my guess would be that one would need a solid high school level vocabulary and a college level interest in the subject matter to find this book helpful.  It is very methodical, no touchy-feely "you are awesome just the way you are" easy reading chapters.  This appeals highly to my sense of structure and orderliness!!

Re-readability:  I found some of the information in this book fascinating and will likely go back and re-read sections that apply to me.

Lasting Impressions:  Although I would not say that this book is anti-Christian or ungodly, this book is NOT written with a Christian worldview but I do think that many of the recommended techniques would easily fit into a Christian counselor's repertoire.



No comments:

Post a Comment