Monday, April 7, 2014

Make It New Monday 4/7/14... From Garage to Home Gym

This month's Make It New Monday is a little bit different for a couple of reasons.  #1 I don't have any REAL before pictures and #2 It is a large project that we hired someone to do most of the work.  This space started out as a junk pit  one-car oversized garage that we used for storage.  I am so glad that none of you were flies on the wall to hear the disagreements that my husband and  I had over that space.  It was so awful that I felt unsafe walking through it.  But that was then and this is now and we are both very pleased with the way things have worked out.
 
When our son and daughter-in-law came to live with us when they found out that they were expecting twins, we had the garage converted into a bedroom/living area for them, and that's where the pictures start.  We had a drop ceiling installed, drywall all around, a walk-in closet built, and carpet laid.  Our son installed the shelves to house his extensive DVD collection.
 
 
Entry BEFORE
 
 
Entry During
 
 
Entry AFTER
 I like having a second refrigerator for so many reasons but since it is a gym, I especially like to keep water bottles in it.  Near the door we have a double walking stroller for when we take the twins for a walk with us, and some of the toys they like to play with outside.  Also, there is a seat where I put on my walking shoes.  I don't like to wear those shoes through the house since the area where I walk is littered with so many goose... offerings...

My husband now uses the walk-in closet for his clothes and sundry things.  He's a packrat so I refused to take AFTER pictures of that area.  I love the man, but he's a messy!


Entry and privacy wall
Walk-in closet







 
Outside wall of walk-in closet

 
 

Shelving area and door into house BEFORE


Back wall BEFORE


In the process...


Outside wall of walk-in closet and shelves AFTER

Back wall

Side wall


 
So there it is!  Our home gym.  Now I have no legitimate excuses to slack, right?

Remember to link up below to share the projects you've been working on!


My Not-So-Empty Nest

11 comments:

  1. Wow! I am very impressed with your home gym! (Although I am afraid if I had such a wonderful set-up, I'd be out of excuses.)

    This is definitely a good "make it new" project...from (unsafe) garage to gym which will make YOU new too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheryl, the "I have no excuses" is indeed a double-edged sword! I've definitely made good use of it. Now if I could just make more healthy nutrition choices on a consistent basis I'd be well on my way to having a trimmer waistline!

      Delete
  2. Very nice. But, I have to admit I am thinking, all that unused space!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you would make full use of its potential in your own way, Aunt Betty! :-)

      Delete
  3. WoW! great transformation, I would love to have a home gym like this one, of course I couldn't use the weather as an excuse to not exercise, beautiful job, well done! Thanks for sharing.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sue! It does nullify the weather excuse, but I have a hundred other excuses at my disposal should I feel the need! ha ha!

      Delete
  4. That is a great new space! I am very impressed that it has become a home gym. I don't know what I would do with such a great space, but home gym hardly computes. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Vee. Hubby and I each had several ideas about how to use the space but since "home gym" was the only one that would be used by both of us we went with that. We've also offered its use to nearby friends and family, so it was a win for everyone! :-)

      Delete
  5. I love your new workout room. The open space will be great for exercise (I always feel a bit claustrophobic working out in tight quarters).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a great space, Allyson. The boys love to play golf out there and jump on the trampoline, etc. You are welcome to come use it any time you'd like :-)

      Delete
    2. Thanks! I also recognize who's on your TV :)

      Delete